The Art for Social Change Competition seeks to create space for and recognize the role of art in advancing social justice, as a process and a goal. We seek artistic submissions that provoke, challenge, and inspire.
We hope that this program will call attention to the need to not only recognize the vast inequality that persists in the world today, but also recognize the necessity to build a new world – to dream, to envision, to invent, to create – redefining how we live and interact with our surroundings.
Deadline for Submissions: EXTENDED to November 30, 2017
MLK18 Art for Social Change Competition includes three distinct categories (listed below) for artists to explore. When submitting your creative piece, please note which category you are submitting to. Submissions from any medium will be accepted for consideration in the following areas.
Remembering MLK Submissions that commemorate the history of the Civil Rights Movement and the legacy of MLK.
Social Justice in Action Submissions that address contemporary issues of inequality and injustice at the local and/or global level.
Community Building at WSU Submissions that foster an inclusive community at Washington State University (must be specific to WSU.)
Examples of Submissions:
All creative audio/visual work submitted must be display ready. Examples of submissions include, but are not limited to:
- Paintings in any media
- Performance art (Recorded in flv, avi, mp4, wmv, or mov format)
- Sculpture/Ceramics or any other tri-dimensional art piece
- Digital Media: web-based, photography, videos, graphic/visual designs/
- Original music composition (CD or mp3 format)
- Short film.
- 10 minutes maximum length
- Any genre: fiction/non-fiction (documentary), animated, music video
- Format: Submit using the following formats: flv, avi, mp4, wmv, mov. They are to be submitted on removable media or uploaded via the form on the mlk.wsu.edu website. If submitted on a DVD, the film must not be in TS format. Submissions exceeding the time limit will be disqualified.
- Creative writing (fiction or non-fiction)
- Graphic novels
- Visual poetry
- Spoken word poetry
For information about how to submit click here.